Drupal 10 was launched in December 2022. If you are a present Drupal 9 consumer, you might be strategizing your web site’s Drupal 9 to 10 migration. Luckily, the Drupal 9 to 10 migration is being heralded as the simplest improve in Drupal’s historical past. That’s as a result of Drupal 10 is backward-compatible with Drupal 9 and isn’t a serious overhaul of the core system. But the planning and improvement course of nonetheless requires time and a spotlight to make sure the migration goes easily.
This article takes a deep dive into the Drupal migration course of and the way your group’s advertising workforce can present help alongside the best way.
Fast details in regards to the Drupal 9 to 10 migration
Brush up in your Drupal launch historical past with these quick details:
- Drupal 9 was launched in June 2020. At the time of its launch, Drupal 9 supplied a neater improve than ever as a result of it constructed upon options launched for Drupal 8.
- Support for Drupal 9 ends in November 2023. There will not be many new safety releases after this time, and no new performance shall be added.
- Drupal 10 was launched on December 14, 2022. New options will solely be added to Drupal 10 any more, so for those who’re trying to make use of Drupal for the primary time, it is beneficial to begin with Drupal 10.
What’s new in Drupal 10?
As talked about, Drupal 10 builds on improvements launched as a part of Drupal 9. You will not encounter a wholly new construction and system to get used to when switching to Drupal 10.
That being stated, Drupal 10 affords the next up to date options to enhance the consumer expertise:
- A brand new default administrative theme and frontend theme: The default Claro administration theme and the Olivero frontend theme supply an accessible, user-friendly, fashionable expertise for web site directors and guests alike.
- Updates to the CKEditor embedded textual content editor from V4 to V5: This change facilitates a extra fashionable enhancing expertise and extra intuitive authoring.
- Upgrade from the PHP framework Symfony 4 to Symfony 6: Symfony 6 and switching to PHP 8.1 because the minimal model ends in a safer, performant PHP framework.
Specific applied sciences apart, Drupal 10 focuses on accessibility, modernization, and user-friendliness for web site guests and editors alike.
Steps to improve from Drupal 9 to 10
If you upgraded your web site from Drupal 7 to 9 up to now, you recognize that migration required transferring your whole knowledge to a brand new Drupal 9 web site. The Drupal 9 to 10 migration is much like the improve from Drupal 8 to 9, so it will not be such a major endeavor.
However, you’ll be able to nonetheless take just a few measures to set your web site up for achievement. Follow these steps to organize your Drupal 9 web site for the migration:
- Drupal model: Upgrade to at the least Drupal 9.4.4 or later. Core updates made earlier than 9.4 have been eradicated, so that you should be on at the least Drupal 9.4.4 to make use of the info improve path from CKEditor 4 to CKEditor 5.
- Rector: Run Drupal Rector on customized modules and themes. Drupal Rector scans code to search for deprecated capabilities and helps information builders to improve them.
- CKEditor: Upgrade to CKEditor 5. CKEditor 4 reaches its end-of-life on the finish of 2023. Check out Drupal’s step-by-step directions for upgrading to CKEditor 5 to remain updated.
- PHP: Check your model of PHP. Drupal 10 requires PHP 8.1 or larger, so you might have to update your PHP code. Log into your web site’s internet hosting account and examine the settings in your management panel to confirm which model of PHP you are utilizing.
- Modules and themes: Check your modules and themes. Not all modules and themes from Drupal 9 shall be appropriate with Drupal 10. If your web site makes use of a module or theme that was faraway from Drupal core, obtain the contributed mission model earlier than migrating to Drupal 10.
- Test: Update to Drupal 10 and check your web site. Run automated code checks utilizing instruments like Drupal Rector or PHPStan. Also, conduct guide testing to make sure that every thing is working as anticipated. Check your types, hyperlinks, web page navigation, and different web site components to notice any user-experience points.
Ideally, upgrading your web site from Drupal 9 to 10 should not be a problem. You could make the already easy course of even simpler with the guidelines I’ve supplied. You can take these steps your self, let your internet developer deal with it, or work with an exterior Drupal developer.
This article was tailored from a previous article by Jim Birch, Drupal engineering supervisor at Kanopi Studios.